Friday, September 9, 2011

reflections



I've said it before, but I am drawn to water. Lucky for me, I do live between two beautiful lakes. They are the first things I miss when I am away from Madison, and the first places I come back to when I get home. Upon returning from every long vacation I've ever taken, I make sure to drive around the lake shore just as soon as I can, to see my city reflected on the water.

These lakes are beautiful to photograph, the light is interesting and wonderful at most any time of day, they're recreational all year 'round, for boaters, swimmers (including the upcoming Ironman), and in winter we have the colorful "kites on ice" festival, along with lots of ice-fishing.

There's something profound that happens to me when I am near water. I began to notice this after my first few trips across America, through some of our amazing National Parks, and to Europe. The most memorable moments, and also my favorite photographs, always involved rivers, lakes, coastlines, or the sea. Something about the colors of and reflections on the water. The light. The waves. The sound. Sometimes even the smell, especially of a salty ocean. These memories, and images, stick with me like no others.

No comments:

Post a Comment